In 2011 I was working on an article about Young Adult fiction with environmental themes, for a review magazine which serves (I believe) mainly school librarians. During that process I published a “call for recommendations” here on Green Path with a short list intended to jog readers’ memories. It elicited several good suggestions, so I left the invitation open.
That article was published in Viewpoint Vol 20/2, Winter 2012, but I continued passively collecting recommendations for future reference. Suggestions up to 2017 have now been incorporated into the body of the post; the post is dated 2017 to reflect this, although the reorganisation was done in 2019.
Fiction Titles – the beginnings of a list
- Jeannie Baker – Where the Forest Meets the Sea 1 A (http://www.jeanniebaker.com/)
- One Less Fish 2 A
- Aboriginal myths and legends often 2
- The Lake at the End of the World 3
- Lucy Christopher – Flyaway C, D
- The Man Who Planted Trees 2 (war veteran in Europe)
- The Blue Feather E (set for Yr 12 English but read and enjoyed a couple of years earlier)
- Carl Hiaasen – novels specially for YA 2 D
- Le Guin – The Word for World is Forest E Plot is very similar to Avatar.
- Kim Stanley Robinson – Forty Signs of Rain trilogy 2, 3 E briefly discussed here.
- Carl Hiaasen – most of his novels 2 E